6.14.2009

Welcome to Cogs and Togs

Ah, Second Life. If you can imagine it, you can find it or build it in Second Life. And whatever it is, you can blog about it. My name is Tehanu Marenwolf and I'll be exploring a side of fashion in Second Life that seems to be going a bit under-examined. Of course, now that I've typed that, I'll probably find a dozen blogs devoted to Victorian/Edwardian/steampunk fashion in SL, but what the heck, the more the merrier.

In-world, you'll find me most often at home in Caledon, an amazing region full of fascinating and creative people, where the theme is Victorian steampunk. I had the immense luck to rez for the first time in Caledon's Oxbridge University, one of the best place for a newcomer to find themselves. I found shopping for certain items to be a bit challenging, and for others, just plain brilliant fun. There are a lot of very talented people out there, making wonderful things for the Victorian/steampunk crowd. I'm going to investigate as much of that as possible.

Generally, I'm going to focus on historical fashion from 1840 to about 1919, with the occasional overshoot in either direction, and also on the cogs and gears goodness that is steampunk. Steampunk is about living in a world where steam power is still widely used. Interlaced with this semi-historical setting you'll also find elements of science fiction and fantasy. Think Jules Verne. Think fairies. Think dirigibles, ray-guns, the Nautilous, aether-powered rayguns and more. It's a potent blend and the costuming is amazing.

Many thanks to Cherry Gumbo for thinking of the blog's name, and to everyone at the Palm Court Tea Dance who pitched in with ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment